The running guilt cycle
For about 3-4 weeks I was running almost every day and for one reason or another it was insanely easy to wake up and run in the morning or to throw on my running shoes and take a run after work.
These past 2-3 weeks…not so much. I’ve run about 1-2 times a week and I barely had the energy to do that. It’s not that I’m having trouble with the running part, I’m having trouble with the getting motivated to even lace up.
And not running makes me feel guilty, equivalent to if I had spent the week on a bender. What the hell is with this guilt? I’m in a cycle of guilt, planning to run and finding myself blowing it off for one reason or another, and then swimming in self disappointment.
I actually think that this feeling of guilt is not healthy. I’m at a healthy weight and I shouldn’t feel obligated to go for a run but I do. So WTF?
Does anyone else get this same thing?
14 Notes/ Hide
- icurrentlycovet said: every.damn.day. even on days i’m supposed to rest
- icurrentlycovet likes this
- juliajane likes this
- whiskeybentandhellbound likes this
- jennabee likes this
- jhollawanders said: same. I think it’s just the general feeling of laziness that I don’t like when I’m not being active in some way, running or not. It’s annoying at times, but I think it will serve us well in the long run and hopefully keep us healthy.
- katiefru likes this
- cattinthecity likes this
- bemorebrightside said: Yes, all the time. I feel on top of the world after a run, and mad at myself if I skip a run. But everyone says to listen to your body, and if you haven’t been feeling great, maybe your body just needs rest. Hang in there!
- bemorebrightside likes this
- readysetblog said: I get it too. Sometimes you just need a break. I never regret getting off my butt and going for a run though. Sometimes you just have to force yourself.
- readysetblog likes this
- heywhysoserious likes this
- cupofchi said: Ugh, yes. I can justify WHY I haven’t been running (packing/moving/travel) but I feel horrible about it.
- useyourindoorvoice posted this